3 Simple tips to not freak out this holiday shopping season
1. Don’t get frustrated if you’ve got a low budget
The time you spend in looking for the gift holds by itself a lot of value, so please don’t let money intimidate you. Whatever you give, give it like the special gesture that it is. If you are worried about your budget, don’t forget that the act of giving is more valuable than the actual cost of the gift (read below some affordable gift recommendations).
Christmas is not only a beautiful tradition, but also a powerful marketing tool. Therefore, when you go shopping, make sure that you are aware of the purpose of your purchase. Are you looking just to make a good impression? Or are you buying something just because it’s trending, regardless of whether it goes with the person you are giving it to or not? These are indicators of consumerism.
2. Give presents only to whom you truly want to
This year, some will have the fortune to spend Christmas with their families, others won’t. Whatever the case, be thankful for the people that surround you, and ask yourself why God has put them in your life to share this special holiday.
Secret Santa is a popular and very practical alternative, as long as you don’t get somebody that you don’t know at all. Then we fall again into that distorted concept where Christmas gifts become the biggest dilemma.
Whether it’s a small or big group of people, give presents exclusively to whom you genuinely feel like giving to. It’s more simple than it looks! We tend to be afraid to hurt other’s feelings, but in the end, nothing really happens.
3. Be creative
Creative details, no matter how simple they are, actually create an amazing impression. We all have a hidden talent and this is the perfect moment to use it.
Some ideas are:
- A hand-made painting, drawing or design, dedicated to that person
- A poem, letter, or song written by you, inspired by that person
- A beauty session in which you do their hair or their nails
- A bracelet or necklace crafted by you
- A massage session performed by you
- Pictures of the both of you, printed and arranged in a creative way
- A box of cookies home baked by you
- A piñata with their favorite candy
- A CD with all songs that are historic in your relationship
- It is important that these type of presents are well presented, because they will expect a more common gift, and they will certainly appreciate that you took the time to think about something extra special for them.
The best thing about gifts, is that they bring good memories with the people we love, and that’s what Christmas is all about. If you are blessed to be with the people you love, cherish the moment! Love and give the best of you.
As for me, there is no better gift than all those lovely comments about my new song “Otoño.” What a beautiful action it is, to appreciate and support art!